Note that in some cases, the posted versions are unpublished drafts that still are (or were) actively in the editing phase. Please do not repost without permission, and please make sure you rely on the most up-to-date or published version. Sometimes I take papers down to comply with journal submission guidelines. If you’d like a paper that isn’t accessible here, just send me an email. And the most up-to-date list is always my CV.
Current Drafts in Progress, Committed, or Under Review
- “Time Bias, Rationality and Value.” for Philosophy Compass (Submitted)
- “Time.” Updated entry for Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. (Co-authoring with Nina Emery and Ned Markosian)
- “Temporal Discounting in Psychology and Philosophy: Four Proposals for Mutual Research Aid”
- “Modal Logic and the Methodology of Metaphysics: A Case Study in the Relationship Between Formalism and Abduction”
- “Catholic Philosophy as a Way of Life”
- “Public Conversion, Private Reason and Institutional Crisis”
- “Scheduling Deliberation”
Publications and Manuscripts for Forthcoming Articles
- “Teaching Evil.” for Christian Philosophy: Conceptions, Continuations and Challenges. Oxford: Oxford University Press Forthcoming.
- “Personal Volatility” for Philosophical Issues (supplement to Nous) 2017.
- “Yet Another “Epicurean” Argument” (with Peter Finocchiaro) Philosophical Perspectives. Special Issue: Metaphysics.
- “Boring Ontological Realism.” forthcoming in Res Philosophica.
- “A Philosophy for the End (Whenever It Comes).” for Georgetown Journal of Law and Public Policy. Special issue on remote consequences and ethical analysis.
- “An A-Theory Without Tense Operators.” Canadian Journal of Philosophy. Vol 46, Issue 4-5 (2016), pp 735-758.
- Reprinted in Williamson on Modality. ed.s Juhani Yli-Vakkuri and Mark McCullagh (London: Routledge, 2018)
- “Are There Essential Properties?” Current Controversies in Metaphysics. ed. Elizabeth Barnes. (New York: Routledge, 2017)
- “The Semantic Problem of Hiddenness.” Hidden Divinity and Religious Belief: New Perspectives. eds. Adam Green and Eleonore Stump. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015) pp 35-52.
- “Against Time Bias.” Ethics. Vol 125 (July 2015), pp.1-24. (with Preston Greene)
- “The Irrelevance of Essence .” Philosophy and Phenomenological Research. Vol 91, No. 2 (Sep 2015).
- “Modal Oecumenism.” Analysis. Vol. 75, Issue 2 (2015), pp.271-283.
- “Metaphysics.” Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. (Oct 2014)
- “Modal Logic as Methodology.” Philosophy and Phenomenological Research. Vol. 88, Issue 3 (May 2014) pp.734-743.
- “Change We Can Believe In (and Assert).” Nous. Vol. 48, Issue 3 (Sep 2014), pp. 474-495.
- “Peter van Inwagen’s Defense.” Blackwell Companion to the Problem of Evil. eds. Daniel Howard-Snyder and Justin McBreyer. (Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2013), pp. 396-410.
- “The Minimal A-Theory.” Philosophical Studies. Vol 158, Issue 2 (2012), pp. 149-174.
- “Problems for Temporary Existence in Tense Logic.” Philosophy Compass. (Jan 2012), pp. 43-57.
- “Semantics for Blasphemy.” Oxford Studies in Philosophy of Religion. Vol. 4 (2012), pp. 159-173.
- Finalist for the 2010 Younger Scholars Prize in Philosophical Theology.
- Review of Objective Becoming (Skow) for The Philosophical Review.
- Review of Midlife: A Philosophical Guide (Setiya) for Commonweal
- Review of The Moving Spotlight (Ross Cameron) for NDPR.
- Review of The Future of Philosophy of Time for NDPR (Feb 2012).
- Review of The Practice of Catholic Theology (Paul Griffiths) for Commonweal. (Oct 2016: Theology Issue)